OBMSGATEWAY

OBMSGATEWAY
Making Things Easy for Nigerian Diasporans back Home

Monday, October 27, 2014

BUHARI: On Muslim-Muslim Ticket

I had demonstrated to Nigerians that I’m not a fundamentalist and there is nothing more I can do. Nigerians will always uncover impossible room for manoeuvre for politicians. I had to face one of the governors during one of our party’s meetings (over the issue of religion).
In 2003, I chose (the late Senator) Chuba Okadigbo as my running mate. He was a Roman Catholic. He was an Igbo. In 2007, I picked Edwin Ume-Ezeoke. He was a Roman Catholic. He was an Igbo. And in 2010, I chose even a pastor – Tunde Bakare.
Honestly, what do Nigerians want me to do? If they don’t believe I’m not a fundamentalist, what else can I do?
How about (the late Bashorun) Moshood Abiola, a Southern Muslim, who picked Babagana Kingibe, a Northern Muslim, as running mate in the 1993 presidential election? The Muslim-Muslim ticket went on to win an election that is still considered by many as the most credible in Nigeria’s history.
I have not absolutely closed my mind to picking a Christian or Muslim as running mate, if I get the ticket. This is because I firmly believe that Nigerians, having gone through what they have gone through, realise it is not a matter of religion but a matter of Nigeria.
The main religions – Christianity and Islam – know and they believe in Almighty God. The question of stealing and short-changing people in the name of religion should stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment